Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Gospel, The Church and ... Glenn Beck

I recently was asked what I thought about Glenn Beck's rally in Washington, DC. To be honest, I hadn't really been following it or him. I have heard that he was calling America back to God -- certainly a worthwhile cause. This individual went on to inform me that Beck was a Mormon by religion. I was not aware of that -- so did some research, and everything I have seen has corroborated that statement. That raises some pretty serious questions since the Mormon god is not the God that is described in the Bible. I came across the following post which is forcing me to do some more thinking:

A Mormon television star stands in front of the Lincoln Memorial and calls American Christians to revival. He assembles some evangelical celebrities to give testimonies, and then preaches a God and country revivalism that leaves the evangelicals cheering that they’ve heard the gospel, right there in the nation’s capital.

The news media pronounces him the new leader of America’s Christian conservative movement, and a flock of America’s Christian conservatives have no problem with that.
(Read the full article HERE)

Russell Moore, the author of the article, doesn't fault Beck who he sees as an entrepreneur and one who knows how to market himself. The problem, Moore points to is that American "Christianity" has become too much of a political agenda -- we want to exchange "the cross for the crown" too soon. I'm still rereading the article and thinking it through. It does appear to me at this point that Moore makes some valid points. We must stay focused on the Gospel of Jesus Christ which alone is the "power of God for salvation" (Romans 1:16)

No comments: