Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reflections on Father's Day

I certainly realize that not everyone has good thoughts about Father's Day ~ many reasons, but I am grateful. God placed three men in my life whom I have had the privilege of calling Dad. My biological Dad (father) who was involved in my life for 15 years until he finished his earthly assignment. Then God placed my step-Dad (whom I call Dad) in my life. He carried on much of God's guidance for me. Then I had the privilege of calling my father-in-law "Dad" as he impacted my life as a man who used his skills and craftsmanship to honor the Lord. He also finished his earthly assignment a couple of years ago and is in the presence of his Savior. It was interesting reading the local paper (here) and its interview of a number of Dads and what they wanted for Father's Day. Most of them wanted time with their children. I am so thankful that our two daughters and their husbands made some time to "hang out" together with us this past weekend - Jill & Nick with a surprise visit from Myrtle Beach, Dennis made breakfast on Saturday which we all enjoyed together. There is a great investment in the raising of children, but it pays dividends! The apostle John writes, "I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth" (3 John 1:4 NASB). Keep at it, Dads. It will be worth it, but it is a long term process!

No comments: